So its only been a couple weeks and I am facing a fork in the road moment already. A genuinely free speech platform seems to lead to complete anarchy (the mad max type not the Michael Malice version).
Sinclair’s decision to close the blog makes more sense day by day unfortunately, so reluctantly decisions need to be made and more moderating policies to be put in place.
1. I sympathise (particularly now) that the Cat can be a place to vent in these ridiculous times. But outright abuse will be moderated. This won’t affect your other post though, we all lapse during heated discussions but our worse nature will be moderated.
2. Doxing is a ban. To be honest I can’t believe I need to write that.
3. Trolls are banned. See the note below for how to deal with them.
4. Individual racism is banned. Race in itself is a boring topic, but the left worship it so we need to address it. Just don’t get personal.
5. Personal responsibility is required. If you emotionally unwell or overly invested please take a break or stick to the post and avoid the open forum. These discussions are important, heated and can take a toll so don’t rely on a third party to look after you personally. A lot of my political growth over the years has come from the Cat, particularly amongst disagreements where evidence lead me one way or the other. The other option is a totalitarian echo chamber and I think we can all see the results of that.
6. Further to the one above, if you have something you want to discuss without venturing into the open thread, hit me up and we can do a post. I much prefer a bunch of post with a single theme in the discussion then a thousand simultaneous conversations in the open thread.
7. No C word. Preferably a reduction in swearing generally but I know some things require the emphasis.
You may have seen a report comment option on the blog. Please use that where necessary, it will let myself or the moderator know immediately of the issue so we can rectify according to these rules above and the no dickhead policy. This will be effective in dealing with trolls as there post will be removed quickly discouraging them from the effort for a few minutes on the site.
Having said that I love the madness that is the Cat. I think just a little bit of restraint will make it a more enjoyable experience for everyone.
Update: I have also turned off auto-approval for first time posters. I forgot I turned it off during the beginning to make it easy for cats to get involved but now that most of us are here it will stop the trolls from returning and avoid the spam that has been slipping though.